"The Temple and the Villa"
A Weekend Celebration of A. J. Davis
in his 200th Year
Born on July 23, 1803, Alexander Jackson Davis would have turned 200 this year!
To celebrate the beginning of A. J. Davis' bicentennial year, the Newburgh Preservation Association joined with Hudson River Heritage in sponsoring a special weekend devoted to Davis on July 26-27, 2003.
Saturday July 26 Program
MORNING (11:30 - 2:30)
On Saturday, at Montgomery Place near Rhinebeck, the program began with two illustrated talks:
"The Temple and the Villa: A.J. Davis in the Hudson Valley," by William Rhoades, professor of art history at SUNY Paltz,
"The Dutch Reformed Church, Newburgh, and the Plumb-Bronson House, Hudson," presented by William Krattinger, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.
Geoffrey Carter, Director of Preservation, Historic Hudson Valley, gave tours of the Davis-designed outbuildings at Montgomery Place, such as the Coach House, the Farm House, and the Swiss Cottage.
AFTERNOON (2:30 - 5:30)
After lunch, participants were invited to take a (self-driving) tour of several nearby Davis buildings:
Blythewood Gatehouse, Annandale (1841)
Delamater House, Rhinebeck (1844)
Maizefield Cottage, Red Hook (1849)
Octagonal Cottage, Barrytown (1855)
Edgewater, Barrytown (1853, 1863)
Updated: August 13, 2003
Davis Driving Tour
On Saturday, participants took a driving tour of five major Davis buildings on both sides of the Hudson two of them normally closed to the public.
1. A special Davis treat is the Plumb-Bronson house (Hudson), a Federal house remodeled by Davis in 1839.
2. The purest example of Davis' workand pure Greek Revival is the Dutch Reformed Church in Newburgh.
3. Montgomery Place (Rhinebeck) is a National Historic Landmark remodeled by Davis in 1859.
4. Locust Grove, Poughkeepsie home of Samuel F.B. Morse, enlarged by Davis in the 1850s.
5. Lyndhurst, the Gothic-Revival home in Tarrytown that Davis re-designed for successive owners.
See MAP of the driving tour.